Tuesday 18 August 2009

More than one kind of birthday...


Today is not only my 100th post, but also the first anniversary of my arrival at the day-job.What a year. Some of the rudest, meanest, bitchiest people I've ever worked with, which is quite impressive, considering I've been working for 30 years in December. Also, some of nicest, kindest, most thoughtful people, which kind of makes up for it.

Wow. 30 years of work. Lets see... Bank (different bank), Bookshop, Library, off to the UK, Temp, Library, back to Aus, Bank (different Bank), back to the UK, Oil Company (typing pool), back to Aus, Temp, Library (see a pattern here?), Temp, Typing Pool, University student (didn't last long at that, let me add!), Training Company (trainer), Insurance Company, 2nd job at same Insurance Company, another Insurance Company, working part time & studying, studying full time, IT Contractor, back at that Insurance Company again, IT
Consulting Company, IT Contractor, Bank (different Bank). I think that's it. Isn't that enough?
I've had some great jobs... some have been lots of fun - the typing pool in London was great, we used to have lots of fun whilst working our way through Exploration & Drilling reports. Plus we had state of the art technology, word processing machines with Hard Disks in them! Wow! (this was 1988, you know...) Ah, those were the days.

And what I really want to know is, why did it take me until I was over 40 before figuring out what I really really wanted to do with my life? Way too old to retrain again... and in way too deep with house, renovations and a mortgage to go back to uni... so I'm making do. I wanted to make costumes for films & theatre, but I've left it too late... now I spend my time making beautiful things out of beautiful fabric, wishing I wasn't pushing buttons & writing business requirements. Ah, happy freaking anniversary.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your 100th post as well as your one year work anniversary--hope you set aside some time and find some joy just for yourself today!

    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete

Hello, it's nice to see you! Thanks for dropping in to say "Hi"!